What is a special use?

Some uses require review by the Planning and Zoning Commission before they can be permitted. Special Use Permits are usually required because the proposed use has the potential to have a significant impact on neighboring properties. The Special Use Permit process ensures that the public has an opportunity to review and comment on the application. A Special Use Permit is an application process which has a public hearing before the Planning and Zoning Commission.

The public hearing process for a Special Use Permit takes approximately three months from start to finish. The City will send notices to neighbors within 300 feet of the property and public agencies such as school districts and the Jerome County Highway District. This gives anyone who may be affected, an opportunity to comment on the proposed use of the property. You may obtain information regarding Conditional uses in the Jerome Municipal Code, Title 17. View the special use permit application (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. Where is the Planning Office located?
2. What is the zoning of my property?
3. What can I do with my property?
4. What is a special use?
5. What is a permitted use?
6. What kind of fence can I put up at my house?
7. Can I run a daycare out of my home?
8. What are the setbacks for my property?
9. How long do applications take to process?
10. What is required to put up a sign for my business?
11. I received a notice from the City about my neighbor’s property? What does this mean?
12. Where can I view the Jerome Municipal Code?
13. Where can I get application forms?