Home > City Government > Planning and Zoning > FAQ

City Government

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Planning Office located?

The Planning office is located in City Hall at 152 E Avenue A, Jerome, ID  83338. For questions, call (208) 324-8189 or visit our Contact Page.


What is the zoning of my property?

To determine the zone of your property, use the City of Jerome's official Zoning Map which can be accessed by clicking the link below.  When the map is viewable, find your address and note which zoning color corresponds to the legend in the bottom left corner of the map.  If you have any questions concerning zoning, call the Planning and Zoning Office at 324-8189. 

Link to Downloadable Maps, Including Zoning

What can I do with my property?

The uses allowed on your property depend on the zoning of your property.  The City of Jerome has assigned a zone to every property located in the City of Jerome.  Zoning regulates the types and densities of residential development and the types of industrial and commercial uses allowed.  The City of Jerome Planning Office can assist you in determining the zoning of your property and the uses allowed in that zone.  For your reference, you may view 17.14.010 of the Jerome Municipal Code which contains the Official Schedule of District Regulations.  .  This will show the uses allowed in different zoning districts.  Uses are listed as “P” for a Permitted Use and  “S” signifying by Special Use Permit only.  If none of these are listed, the use is prohibited in that zone.


What is a Special Use?

Some uses require review by the Planning & Zoning Commission before they can be permitted.  Special Use Permits are usually required because the proposed use has the potential to have a significant impact on neighboring properties.  The Special Use Permit process ensures that the public has an opportunity to review and comment on the application.  A Special Use Permit is an application process which has a public hearing before the Planning & Zoning Commission.  The public hearing process for a Special Use Permit takes approximately three months from start to finish.  The City will send notices to neighbors within 300 feet of the property and public agencies such as school districts and the Jerome County Highway District.  This gives anyone who may be affected, an opportunity to comment on the proposed use of the property.  You may obtain information regarding Conditional uses in the Jerome Municipal Code, Title 17.  The application for a Special Use Permit can be accessed here: Forms and Applications


What is a Permitted Use?

Permitted Uses are those that are allowed outright without a public hearing based on the Jerome Municipal Code, 17.14.010


What kind of fence can I put up at my house?

In any front yard, no fence or wall or shrub shall be permitted which materially impedes vision across such yard over the height of three (3’) and twenty feet (20') back from front property line.  For back and side yards, a wall, fence, or planting screen shall not be more than six feet (6') in height and shall be maintained in good condition. Temporary materials or materials not originally designed for the purposes of fence construction will be highly discouraged.  Fences made of wood, vinyl are preferred with chain-link encouraged only for back-yard fences.  


Can I run a daycare out of my home?

Depending on your zone, you may be allowed to operate a daycare, however you are still required to obtain a Special Use Permit to operate a business out of your home.  The City of Jerome defines daycares in this way:

There are three (3) types of childcare facilities:

1.            Family Daycare Home: A childcare facility for five (5) or fewer children. Baby sitting services are an accessory use to residential uses.

2.            Group Daycare Facility: A childcare facility for six (6) to twelve (12) children.

3.            Daycare Center: A childcare facility for thirteen (13) or more children.

To obtain a Special Use Permit, visit the Forms page.  For any questions, call 324-8189.


What are the setbacks for my property?

Setbacks are determined according to the zoning district of your property.  You may obtain zoning district information by contacting the Planning Department or by viewing our code online.  The following table summarizes most setbacks in the City:   


How long do applications take to process?

Applications that require a public hearing before the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council take approximately 3 to 4 months to process from the date of submittal until the final paper work is completed.  To access an application for Special Use Permits, variance requests, preliminary and final plats,  rezone requests, and other planning and zoning issues, visit the Forms page.  


What is required to put up a sign for my business?

You are required to obtain a Sign Permit prior to erecting a sign on your property. You may reference sign regulations in Title 17 of the JMC.  Sign Permit applications can be obtained from the Building Department in City Hall.


I received a notice from the City about my neighbor’s property?  What does this mean?

The City mails a notice out to all property owners within 300 feet of a property when a development application is submitted.  This notice details the request and allows surrounding property owners an opportunity to comment for or against the application at or prior to the public hearing.  You can obtain more information on the application by contacting the Planning Office at 208-324-8189.


Where can I view the Jerome Municipal Code?

You may the view the Jerome Municipal Code on-line at the City of Jerome website by clicking this link.  If you do not have internet access you may visit our office in City Hall.


Where can I get application forms?

You may access applications forms online on our Forms page or you may come by our office in City Hall.